How to Choose the Most Effective Rehab for an Addicted Young Adult
Asking for Help: The Most Important Step
Seemingly mirroring the rise of the past decades' opioid epidemic, the number of drug rehabilitation centers in the US. has grown exponentially.
Whether or not this rise is coincidental, drug rehab centers, particularly those advertising to younger demographics, have become an almost ubiquitous presence throughout the US. However, this proliferation of residential treatment facilities has brought with it a diluted saturation of businesses looking to make a quick buck off the suffering of those desperate enough to pay them in hopes of rehabilitated.
But while there is a rise in rehab centers whose sole purpose seems to be to make money off of America's latest drug epidemic, there is still a number of treatment facilities that remain dedicated to serving young addicts in need of life-saving treatment.
The trouble is, parents and other loved ones of addicted young adults (and addicted young adults, themselves) often can't tell the difference between a legitimately effective treatment program from the subpar, strictly monetarily-incentivised facilities.
No worries, we're here to help.
Below, we have provided an informational guide for those in need of narrowing their search while locating the most effective form of drug rehabilitative services (whether it be for themselves, their child, or loved one).
In the following article, we briefly discuss:
- how parents and other family members can support a young adult-addict after they reach out for help
- the various types of rehabs there are to choose from
- the appropriate questions to ask when researching any potential rehab facility
- what to look for in a quality rehab in terms of functionality, services, and types of therapies provided.
As with any life-changing endeavor, the first step of addiction recovery for any young adult is also the most important: admitting to themselves and others that they have a problem that requires treatment.
Unfortunately, admitting to oneself, let alone others, is a difficult and brave decision that often comes after suffering significant personal life setbacks. It is a pivotal moment for any young man or woman that requires immediate assistance from their support system (Eg. parents, family members, close friends, etc.)
Okay, My Son or Daughter/Family Member/Close Friend Has Admitted They have a Problem and Need Help... What Now?
During this highly important, albeit turbulent, transitional phase in a young adult’s life, it’s crucial for them to capitalize on their self-reflection by seeking out immediate help (aka, residential treatment).
However, before receiving or even locating the rehabilitative treatment they desperately require, an addicted young man or woman first needs to surround themselves with a support system that, in addition to assisting them in finding the most effective rehabilitative treatment option, will also be there for them emotionally - starting before their treatment begins and long after it has concluded.
What Can a Parent or Loved One Do, Exactly?
More specifically, parents of an addicted young man or woman need to remind their child that they have made the right choice in taking such a brave step forward in their path to recovery.
As any addict will tell you: the path to achieving sobriety is an arduous, albeit highly possible, journey that cannot be completed alone.
That said, parents and other loved ones must assure a young addict that they have their family’s full love and support - including assistance in finding a treatment center that is best suited to therapeutically address their individual mental, emotional and all-around rehabilitative needs.
The Various Types of Rehab Facilities for Young Adults
Fortunately for addicted young adults and their families, there are near-countless rehabilitation programs to choose from.
Unfortunately, however, like any type of business in an industry, not all rehab clinics are effective as they advertise.
That said, any parent or loved one assisting a young adult in finding the most optimal rehab for a young man or woman needs to do their due diligence in thoroughly researching any potential treatment option.
Like any type of treatment, drug rehab facilities for young adults vary in function, size, and duration. As for deciding which treatment option best suits the rehabilitative needs of a young man or woman, one should consider the extent of the young person's abuse.
While there are outpatient drug treatment options available, such as group and one-on-one therapy sessions, any addict whose issues have significantly impacted their life almost always require treatment that is more intensive and hands-on.
For instance, if the young adult in question struggles with debilitating and severe addiction issues, it is highly recommended they be sent to an inpatient facility where they can receive around-the-clock, intensive, individualized, psychiatric and drug-specific treatments from licensed clinicians and addiction specialists.
30, 60, and 90-day programs - While there are residential treatment facilities that require longer stays, most rehabs for young adults offer treatment programs lasting one to three months in duration - this includes detox, individual, and group therapies.
Aftercare Treatment Programs
Sober Living Homes - After completing a rehab treatment program it is often recommended that recovering young addicts live in what is known as a sober living home before returning home.
As its title suggests, sober living facilities simulate a home-like setting where a recovering addict can stay in order to safely transition back into 'normal living.' Sometimes referred to as, 'halfway houses,' sober living homes prepare young addicts for the real world, albeit in a simulated setting where - with the assistance of psychiatric, addiction, and behavioral specialists - they will be able to more easily maintain their sobriety prior to returning home.
What to Look for in an Inpatient Facility
When choosing an inpatient facility for young adults, it's important to search for a rehab that provides the following essential treatments and specifications:
- Individualized treatment
- Wide-ranging and clinically balanced therapies: a curriculum that addresses biological, social, environmental, and behavioral issues
- Specialized counseling: similar to that of teens, young adults' brains function and process information differently than that of an older adult. Moreover, a young adult's counseling should be designed to treat young men or women of their age.
- Life/independent living skill development: In many cases, young addicts are emotionally underdeveloped due to their excessive drug usage and behavioral issues. Unfortunately, this often means that young addicts are left with underdeveloped living skills and, consequently, are unprepared to live a fully functional lifestyle. Therefore, it is often beneficial that recovering young adults go to a program (rehab or aftercare) that provides independent and life-skill development treatments.
- Dynamic and varied types of experiential treatments: Young people are experiential learners. That said, young adults who require rehabilitation are best served at a rehab center that offers experiential therapies such as, physical fitness, animal, music, art therapies, and/or yoga, meditation, and other related activities.
- Environment surrounded by sober peers: Just as friendships with negative peers have contributed to their addiction, positive-peer relationships can help rehabilitate said issues in addicted young adults. That said, it is crucial for increasing their chances of achieving sobriety that young men and women are surrounded by sober peers (from their age-group) with whom they can develop strong friendships that provide a support system that will help further them when times are difficult.
Searching for Young Adult Rehabilitation Treatment? Be Thorough and Specific as Possible in Your Search!
Whether it is yourself, a loved one, or a son or daughter for whom you are seeking rehabilitation treatment, it is absolutely critical you are thorough in your research before choosing a particular rehab center. People have different values, belief systems, and ways by which they are best able to learn. Moreover, in order to locate a treatment program that is most likely able to yield long-term results, it's imperative that you search for a treatment program that best matches the addicted young adult in question's beliefs, learning style, and other personal preferences
Don't Forget to Ask Questions!
Maybe you are searching for yourself, your adult-child, or perhaps a close loved one or friend - as long as you know how to ask the right questions (of yourself and potential programs), you will be able to locate the most optimal treatment center for your son, daughter, loved one, or self's specific rehabilitative needs.
Narrow your search by asking any potential treatment facility the following questions (that are applicable to your specific situation):
- What types of therapy do they provide?
- Are they equipped to clinically treat particular addictions?
- What does a typical day at their residential treatment center look like?
- Do they offer payment plans, insurance, etc.?
- Are there any testimonials, documentation, or any other statistics that can prove the program in question's rehabilitation rate of success?
- Do they offer aftercare or additional family counseling?
- Do they provide mental health treatment for co-occurring mental illnesses?
As Long as it Doesn't Break the Bank, Don't Worry So Much About the Program in Question's Geographical Location
As long as it's practical and cost-effective to your specific situation, don't worry about the actual location of a selected rehab. The truth of the matter is that many of the nation's leading rehab centers for young adults house young men and women from all over the US, and beyond.
In fact, many experts believe that the further one can be removed from negative influences, environments, and social pressures that contributed to their substance abuse and addiction, the more able one is to fully focus on their recovery, and by extension, overcome their the contributing factors and triggers that enabled their addictive issues to manifest in the first place.
At The Crossroads is a Provenly Effective Treatment Program for Recovering Young Adults
Are you searching for a drug rehab program for your loved one who is fighting the losing battle associated with drug/alcohol addiction? Troubled young adults who suffer from addiction require immediate intervention to regain balance, and health in their lives. While attending drug rehab programs, troubled young adults are taught life skills and coping strategies, which provide young adults with the tools to achieve long term sobriety.
At The Crossroads is here to not only help addicts but their families as well. We understand how destructive and powerful addiction is in the lives of everyone, especially young people. If your son or daughter is struggling with addiction, then the time to act is now. Please call the professionals of At The Crossroads for a free consultation at 866-439-0354.
At The Crossroads is a top aftercare program promoting sober living for young adults after they have completed drug rehab. At The Crossroads is designed to help struggling young adults to commit to recovery and a life of sobriety. At The Crossroads we have put together a powerful life-changing curriculum (life system) that focuses on successful sobriety. We teach young people the foundational actions, attitudes, and behaviors that lead to living well, sober.